Baking soda is by far one of the most inexpensive and versatile things you can have in your home. Known for its cleaning and deodorizing properties, it can be used in the kitchen, the bathroom, the laundry room, and even your bedroom. Here is the skinny as to why baking soda is something you should stock up on the next time you go to the store.
What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate. It’s a white solid that comes in powdered form. It is used for cooking as well as medicinal purposes like treating aspirin overdose and uric acid renal stones. Ancient Egyptians used it as a cleaning agent much like soap.
How Much Does a Box of the Miracle Stuff Cost?
I just picked up a few large boxes of baking soda at the Dollar Tree for 56 cents each. You can often purchase the miracle stuff for even cheaper but it does require you to shop around. I plan to stockpile several boxes a month until I have a good amount of baking soda around. There is no end to its uses and it is a staple in my household because it has a long shelf life.
What Do You Do With It?
Here are twenty-five different uses for baking soda:
- Make your own toothpaste and mouthwash. Here’s an exceptionally simple and cost-effective homemade toothpaste recipe.
- Exfoliate your face and body.
- Use it to ease a sour stomach.
- Remove shampoo residue by sprinkling a small amount in your hair.
- Clean your brushes and combs.
- Freshen stinky sponges.
- Polish silverware.
- Clean the oven.
- Clean the microwave.
- Clean coffee and teapots.
- Remove dirt and grime from tile floors.
- Give your laundry detergent a boost.
- Clean cloth diapers.
- Deodorize your fridge.
- Deodorize garbage disposals.
- Deodorize lunch boxes which retain odors.
- Deodorize and clean dishwashers.
- Neutralize pet smells including litter boxes.
- Deodorize smelly sneakers.
- Freshen linens and stuffed animals.
- Extinguish fires.
- Scrub fruits and vegetables naturally.
- Clean batteries.
- Clean cars.
- Remove oil and grease stains.
Books on Using Baking Soda
The following books offer even more tips on using baking soda on a daily basis:
- Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You’ve Probably Never Thought Of by Vicki Lansky
- Baking Soda Bonanza, 2nd Edition by Peter A. Ciullo
- The Magic of Baking Soda by Emily Thacker
As you can see, baking soda is very beneficial. The next time you find yourself shopping, make sure to pick up a box or two to take home with you. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how useful it really is.
Charissa is into frugal living and saving money.
my friend's step-mother got paid $15299 a week ago. she is working on the computer and bought a $532400 home. All she did was get fortunate and profit by the clues exposed on this web site lazycash23~com~
Great list! You can also use baking soda in cat litter boxes to help with the smell - as well as a myriad of other pet uses. Baking soda is a great, frugal alternative in so many ways.
@MargaretJHodges Awesome. I know that baking soda can be used for cleaning but I didn't know that it can be used for that purpose as well.