definitely don't buy more than you need. It just so happens that I do need to buy a couple of pieces of workout clothes, so I might wait until Aug 10th (GA)
Take Advantage of Tax-Free Savings This August
It’s that time of year again. School will be back in session before you know it and there will be plenty of added expenses as you hurry to buy supplies, electronics, and clothing for your children. Rather than panic, you can find relief in Tax-Free Weekends. Seven states offer relief in the month of August. Mississippi just finished its Tax-Free Weekend July 27-28. Here are the details you need to know about your state’s Tax-Free Weekend
States with a Tax-Free Weekend in August
The states with a tax-free weekend in August include:
- Alabama (Aug. 3-5) Clothing under $100. School supplies under $50. Books under $30. Computers/computer equipment under $750.
- Arkansas (Aug. 4-5) Clothing and footwear priced at less than $100 per item. Accessories (priced at less than $50 per item). School supplies.
- Connecticut (Aug. 19-25) Clothing under $300 per item. Shoes under $300 per item.
- Florida (Aug. 3-5) Books, clothing, and footwear ($75 or less). School supplies ($15 or less).
- Georgia (Aug. 10-11) Clothing under $100. Footwear under $100.
- Iowa (Aug. 3-4) Clothing under $100. Footwear under $100.
- Louisiana (Aug. 3-4) Purchases under $2,500. This total excludes the purchase of taxable services, automobiles, and meals.
- Maryland (Aug. 12-18) Clothing under $100. Footwear under $100.
Other Things You Need to Know
Just because you save on sales tax doesn’t mean that you should throw common sense out the window. Don’t buy more than you need. Pay cash whenever possible. Shop sales ads so you know which deals are the most substantial during your state’s Tax-Free Weekend. Use department store and manufacturer’s coupons. Double check to see if your county and city is participating in the event. Glenwood and White Hall, Alabama are not taking part in the state’s Tax-Free Weekend. If you’re not sure, ask around. Local retailers will know.
Be prepared. Take advantage of the Tax-Free Weekends around you this August and bank your savings. Just because your children need school supplies, new graphing calculators, and sneakers doesn’t mean you have to go broke obtaining them. Pair coupons with sales ads and save even more. A little planning goes a long way when it comes to saving big this time of year.
Don't Miss: Scottrade Review - $7 Trades and Get 3 Free Credit Scores and Hot Credit Card Deals
Filed Under: Taxes
About the Author: Charissa Arsaoui is a freelance writer with a love for thrift. You can read about her adventures by visiting her blog, Confessions of a Closet Coupon Clipper.