Whether it be anniversary gift ideas, gift ideas for boyfriend, gift ideas for girlfriend, christmas gift ideas, gift ideas for men, gift ideas for women, mothers day gift ideas, fathers day gift ideas, wedding anniversary gifts, wedding gift ideas, graduation gift ideas, birthday gift ideas, green gift ideas, last minute gift ideas, retirement gift ideas, and the list goes on and on. It seems that we always need to be be thinking up gift ideas for all of those around us. There is a whole lot of gift giving going on. So how can you stay on top of your budget when the demand for giving gifts is so great each year? Do you announce to your family members and friends that you’re going on a spending freeze and can’t afford to give presents this year or do you go a whole new route and learn how to give gifts on the cheap?
I’ve always been a giver. In fact, I enjoy giving more than I do receiving. That’s why it was hard for me to completely give up giving gifts when I started living on a strict budget. Rather than forgo celebrations, I approach them in a much more frugal way than before.
Here is how you can give gifts without putting a dent in your bank account:
- Create a budget for gifts and stick to it. Just like any other area of finance, your spending can be out of control. With so many reasons to celebrate, it can become very easy to buy more than you can afford. Rather than go broke buying gifts for your relatives and friends, set an amount for this expenditure and stick to it. When you’re out of money, you simply stop buying gifts.
- Shop clearance bins, yard sales, and thrift stores. You can find a wide variety of items that make great gifts for cheap by shopping around. The sooner you start looking for items the better. You never know when the perfect gift will wind up on clearance at your favorite retailer or be sold for mere change at a yard sale. Things are only as valuable as you believe them to be. If someone doesn’t want it in their home anymore, they’re likely to get you a great deal on the item that you’re interested in purchasing.
- Create a handmade gift. Use your talent to make a one-of-a-kind gift. If you’re a baker, create a loaf of banana or pumpkin bread. If you’re a photographer, frame one of your best shots. If you make jewelry, create a signature piece with the supplies you have on hand. A little creativity goes a long way in making a meaningful gift.
- Earn points and trade them in for gift certificates. There are plenty of credit cards that allow you to earn points and trade them in for gift certificates. Here is a list of some of the best incentive credit cards for you to check out. After you start spending you can build up a you can use you incentives balance to purchase a gift. If you don’t have a clue what to get, give the gift certificate with a sentimental card. Letting someone else pick their own gift is often ideal.
There are plenty of ways to give gifts on the cheap and as you just take some time to think about it the cheap gift ideas will start flowing. You don’t need a black card to treat the people in your life well. By planning ahead, scoping out sales, and making use of points programs, you can extend your gift giving budget by a lot.
Incoming search terms:
- cheap gift ideas
- cheap souvenir ideas
- cheap gift ideas catalog
- cheap pick me ideas up gifts or gestures without spending much
- gift card ideas
Don't Miss: Credit Card Deals
Filed Under: saving money
About the Author: Charissa Arsaoui is a freelance writer with a love for thrift. She contributes to many different personal finance blogs.
You can't go wrong with handmade gifts. And also, online shopping. There are a lot of inexpensive gifts over the internet.