Worst, you could get shot. Before you shop during Black Fridays, you should ask yourself if it's worth it.
If you’re like me, you absolutely hate dealing with the crowds on Black Friday. To get in on the best deals you usually have to wake up at some ungodly hour before the sun comes up, stand in long lines for hours out in the cold, and even then, the chances of getting in on the big doorbuster sale are slim unless you were one of the first few people in line. If that isn’t bad enough, once you’re in the store you’re now fighting with a rabid but sleepy mob of people who are also on a mission to save money and things can get ugly.
Even if you are lucky enough to get in and get the items you wanted for a big savings was it really worth it? You’ve deprived yourself of sleep, you’ve had to spend the day fighting for parking spots, dealing with angry mobs, and maybe even came away empty-handed because some of the stores ran out of the items you were looking for. So the way I see it, is the stress, hassle, and lack of sleep worth that savings? Even if I saved 100 bucks I’d probably argue it wasn’t.
Granted, everybody is different and some may even thrive on being out in the crowds and excitement of trying to save money, and that’s fine. But I’d much rather find deals that are just about as good and only take a few clicks of the mouse from the comfort of my home. In my case, even if the item is a few dollars more than a big Black Friday sale it could still be a savings. It takes us 20 minutes to drive to the nearest shopping mall so after you account for time lost driving and the gas expense spending a little more may still mean spending less.
Anyway, for those of you who want to find great online deals without the hassle of leaving the house, here are a few that you can take advantage of today and in the coming weeks:
- Newegg’s Black November deal of the day
- Macys: 20-50% off – Expires Nov 24, 2010
- Jo-Ann: 50% off any one item – Expires Nov 24, 2010
- Kohls: 20% off any order – Expires Jan 19, 2011
- Kohls: 60-80% off clearance event
- Old Navy: 10-50% off Outerwear
- Target’s Cyber Monday Deals
- Adorama: 5-50% off select cameras and accessories
- Apple Store: 12-33% savings on refurbished iPods and Macs
- Patagonia: 60% off web specials
- Toys R Us: Free shipping
- Sears Deal of the Day: Up to 50% off
- Bath & Body Works: 25-50% sale section
- Chefs: 30-70% off and free shipping
- KitchenAid: 30-50% off
- Travelocity: Up to 60% off round trip flights
Incoming search terms:
- how to save money on black friday
Don't Miss: Credit Card Deals
Filed Under: saving money
About the Author: Jeremy Vohwinkle is a Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor® and spent a few years working as a financial planner. Today, he helps people make the most of their money by writing about personal finance here and elsewhere on the web. Jeremy is also Coach at Adaptu and a regular contributor for other publications such as Intuit, and American Express. Be sure to follow Jeremy on Twitter or Google+.