If you just want to make the most out of your iPod Touch and don't really after any of the great features that an iPhone have, then this is really the one for you.
A couple of days ago, I read an article on CNN about a guy who turned his iPod Touch into a cell phone. I was hoping to gain some insight as to how I could perfect this process as I just purchased a headset with microphone specifically for this purpose. What I was surprised to learn was that the guy being interviewed for the article spends over $40 a month using a MiFi device. For ten dollars more, I get unlimited calls, text, and internet access from Boost Mobile, which isn’t a bad deal if you’re willing to spend that much. The problem is that I’m not.
I find that having a cell phone is a necessary evil for business purposes but I am completely content with the idea of having an extra $50 a month to put in savings. That is why I am so hell bent on making this iPod thing work. You see, I already use the TextFree app put out by Pinger so that’s why I was so stoked when they announced that they would be adding the voice feature over the holidays. I used my Amazon gift certificate that my aunt gave me for Christmas to purchase a cheap headset so I could test it out and low and behold, it works.
The calls aren’t crystal clear but they do go through and you have your very own cell phone number so people can call you. The only downfall is that the service doesn’t offer voice mail and only incoming calls are free. You have to purchase minutes or earn them by downloading other apps in order to place a call which is perfectly fine with me. Free is free. Plain and simple.
Turning Your iPod Into a Bonafide Calling Machine
Here is how you can turn your iPod Touch into a phone in a few easy steps:
1) Download the TextFree with Voice app from the iTunes.
2) Register to get your very own cell phone number to give out to family members, friends, clients, and neighbors.
3) Place a test call using your headphones with mic.
4) Send a free text to everyone in your phone book telling them your new number.
Things to Remember
Here are some things to remember when using TextFree with Voice to place and receive calls:
1) You must be connected to WiFi for the service to work so don’t expect to be driving down the road and receive a call.
2) There is no voicemail so if you’re expecting an important call, it may be best to set up a free voicemail at K7.net and have the messages routed to an email account.
3) You cannot call 911 from your iPod. Keep a used cell phone in your car or home for this reason. The Federal Communications Commission requires all cell phones to retain the ability to call emergency services even if there is no service on the phone.
Although I don’t claim these types of applications are perfect, I have been satisfied with TextFree thus far. I am going to use it as my sole method of communication starting this February and will report back with my results.
Incoming search terms:
- how to turn your ipod into a phone
- turn your ipod into a phone
- turn ipod touch into phone
- turn ipod into phone
- how to turn ipod touch into phone
- how to turn your ipod touch into a phone
- can an ipod be used as a phone
- can an ipod touch be used as a cell phone
- can ipod be used as phone
- ipod as phone
Don't Miss: Scottrade Review - $7 Trades and Get 3 Free Credit Scores and Hot Credit Card Deals
Filed Under: Odds and Ends
About the Author: Charissa Arsaoui is a freelance writer with a love for thrift. You can read about her adventures by visiting her blog, Confessions of a Closet Coupon Clipper.
I love to gather information of various innovative and amazing applications. I come to know another insightful application and use it in the future for sure. Good share by author..
I don't understand what the advantage of your solution is compared to the MiFi guy. How do you make calls when you are outside a wifi network?
my 11 yr old son has an ipod touch and requested a headset with a microphone for xmas. After he opened it up, he went into his room and called our home phone. It's the perfect cell phone for children!